My First Tweet


Yesterday I was writing a short discussion post for our instructional Technology Coaches about Twitter becoming the most meaningful PLN I have ever found. To explain that I haven't been addicted to social media in general before finding it to be a useful venue for professional learning, I decided to look up the date I sent out my first Tweet.

While there is definitely a much better way to do this, I pressed the page-down key through 1,500 Tweets until I reached the bottom. The picture above is what I discovered as the first thing I chose to share on Twitter.

Watching other educators much more experienced and inspiring than myself in 2011 talk about the Google Teacher Academy (GTA) on Twitter was relevant and exciting enough to me that I wanted to take a shot at participating in the conversation. Looking back on March 14th, 2011, less than three years ago, I am impressed I knew enough to use a hashtag in my first tweet. While I could write about how GTA was an awakening experience for me and helped make me much more aware of the great teaching happening around me to learn and grow from, this was written to promote Twitter was a Personal Learning Network.

If you're an educator, sign up for Twitter it's free and low-commitment. 

Search some Hashtags used in Education. 

When you are ready, even if it takes over a year, start adding to the conversation and engage other teachers. Checkout the schedule of PUBLIC talks about education on Twitter. I'm sure there's one for your content area. 


Need to a more basic start? Here is @RaeFearing's self-paced course on Twitter for Educators.

Comments